The founder members of the St Albans Bowling Club met for the very first time in the St Albans Town Hall on the 27th January 1903 by permission of the Mayor, who became the first President of the Club. The Council assisted in and encouraged the foundation of the Club as part of its drive to extend the popularity of Clarence Park Recreational Ground, gifted to the City of St Albans by Sir John Blundell Maple in 1894. The Club's link with the Council is still strong in that the Mayor is now the Club's Patron.
A crown green was laid and the first recorded match took place on the 25th July 1903 between the Club and a Town Clerk's team of eight. In 1905 a covered shelter aptly named as the "Tea House" was built near the green and the Mayor at that time and therefore President of the Club, was Councilor Sam Ryder.
The first small pavilion was built in 1911 and in 1921 the green was converted to a flat green. Conversion to a flat green had been agreed in 1914 but delayed because of the outbreak of the First World War. At this time the Club affiliated to the E B A and continued to prosper.
At the present time we have a membership of about 90 ladies and gentlemen, and are always ready to welcome new members.
The season runs from April to September when we play matches both single sex & mixed rink against other clubs in Hertfordshire. We play competitions at County, District and club level but we also enjoy informal roll-ups during the week.
There are a number of social occasions during the season and also through the winter months.
Coaching can be provided for new members. If you are interested in playing bowls please view the contact page here.